Maintaining Private Health Insurance while in Australia is a visa condition for International students.

Bupa is the University of Melbourne’s preferred OSHC Insurance provider for overseas students and visitors at the University of Melbourne. Having either Bupa or Allianz Global OSHC insurance membership allows direct billing through this service.

To help you with any enquiries there is a Bupa client service representative on Level 1 of the Health Service building from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday. Renewing your membership can be done on line or by visiting your insurance representative. If your OSHC membership card is not valid, you may be required to pay for the consultation.

Students not covered by Bupa or Allianz OSHC insurance will be charged a fee payable at the time of consultation. Most of this fee is rebated to the patient when claimed by the patient through their insurer.

For more information on please see the Overseas Student Health Cover page.


In Australia, patients are required to purchase medications from a pharmacy, also known as a chemist, when they receive a script from their doctor. There are a number of chemists in the Carlton area including these below;

Campus Pharmacy - Ground floor, Union House (enter via Union Lawn)

Clarke and Demarte Amcal Chemist - 380 Lygon St, Carlton; 9347-6310

Pickford Pharmacy – 177-179 Elgin St, Carlton; 9347-2505

Pulse Pharmacy – 279 Lygon St, Carlton; 9349-1067

Pulse Pharmacy – 114 Elgin St, Carlton; 93475453

Jansen Chris Pharmacy – 337 Lygon St, Carlton; 9347-2581