Enrolment and Orientation for research higher degree students
As a graduate research student, you are expected to negotiate a course commencement date with your supervisor. Try to arrive about two weeks before your commencement date to allow time to finalise your enrolment and adjust to life in Melbourne. If you plan to find housing after you arrive, you should allow for more time. Refer to Student Housing Services for information about housing options and things to consider.
On this page:
- Accept your offer. Follow the instructions in your offer letter.
- Set up your University account online after you receive your acceptance confirmation. You will not be able to enrol in any subjects until you arrive in Melbourne.
- Read the Handbook to learn more about your degree.
- Register for a Diagnostic English Language Assessment (DELA) session if required.
- Refer to the Graduate Orientation Program for information on sessions/workshops happening throughout the Orientation period so you can plan ahead and attend sessions/workshops that interest you.
- Attend a Graduate International Student Briefing
International Student Briefings are compulsory for international students studying in Australia. The briefing provides graduate students with important information on visas, support services, health, safety and life in Melbourne.
Please note: The dates and times of this information will be posted online closer to the Semester 2 2013 intake.
- Visit your Graduate School (or refer to the information they have provided) for information on how to finalise your enrolment, and for advice on any induction/orientation sessions being offered by your faculty/department.
- Register for and attend the Graduate Researcher's Orientation Day being offered by the Melbourne School of Graduate Research (MSGR).
- If you arrive outside the Orientation period, attend an International Student Briefing at the Baldwin Spencer Building. Sessions run at 10am every Tuesday.
- Visit your Graduate School or Department to complete your academic enrolment.
- Register for the Graduate Researcher's Orientation Day and other activities organised by your Graduate School or Department.
Visit your School/Faculty for all enrolment and course-related questions.
Be a part of the Melbourne graduate community
Stay connected with the Melbourne graduate community and keep up with what's happening. Refer to the further resources and programs page in the Orientation program for e-newsletters, ongoing academic skills support and information on the Graduate Student Association.
Check upcoming research events and forums, sign up for graduate student e-newsletters gradflash and GSA news, check with your department about seminars and social events. Our events page lists events and notices of interest to international student community both on campus and in wider community.