Future students – applying for a student visa

You will need to apply for your visa online with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). The University issues you a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) but is unable to assist with visa applications. You can submit an application yourself or use the services of one of the University's official overseas representatives.

If you are holding an Australian temporary visa (other than a student visa) you may not need to apply for a student visa. Check the study entitlements on your visa with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Student visa conditions are available on the DIBP website.


You must apply for this visa online. You can apply when you are in or outside Australia.

Apply after you have gathered and scanned the documents that support your application, create an account and apply for your student visa using the DIBP online application system – ImmiAccount.

If you do not provide the documents requested by DIBP, your visa application could be refused.

If you lodge an application outside Australia, you must wait until your visa is granted before travelling to Australia.

To apply for a student visa inside Australia, you must hold a pre-qualifying visa. Please note that you may have to pay a further visa application charge if applying in Australia based on your individual temporary visa history. This charge does not apply to the first visa that is granted when you are in Australia.

When to apply

You must wait until after you have accepted your offer and received a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) to apply for a student visa, otherwise, your student visa application will be refused.

Genuine temporary entrant

The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.

The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants. The officer assessing the visa application considers whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia.

The DIBP suggests applicants provide a statement addressing the:

  • reasons for choosing the particular education provider;
  • reasons for choosing to study in Australia rather than in their home country;
  • relevance of the course of studies to their academic or employment background; and
  • relevance of the course of study to their future career or educational plans.

If your statement does not fit in to the free-text field, you have the option to upload your statement as a separate attachment.

More information

For information about application procedures, contact your nearest Australian Diplomatic Post.

Visa fees and charges

How long does it take to process my visa?

Please note: Visa processing can take longer in peak periods.

For more information about the normal visa processing arrangements and visa requirements, refer to the Student and Student Guardian visa processing times.