Inviting relatives or friends to visit

If members of your family wish to visit you while you are in Australia, the most appropriate visa is a visitor visa. For further information, please contact the DIBP office in your home country.

If your relatives or friends require supporting documents for their tourist visa application, you (rather than the University) will need to:

  • write a letter stating that you wish your relatives or friends to visit you (refer to the sample)
  • enclose a certified copy of your passport and Australian student visa
  • graduation ceremony details (if inviting relatives and friends for your graduations).

Give the letter and supporting documents to your relatives or friends to be included with their tourist visa application.

Sample letter

<Address of the Australian visa office in your home country>

Subject: <name and date of birth of your relatives>
Date: <date>

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently enrolled in a course leading to <degree name> at the University of Melbourne and expected to complete my course on <date>. I wish to invite <name of your relatives> to visit me in Australia for <number of weeks or months> {and attend my graduation ceremony on <ceremony date>}.

I have attached a certified copy of my passport and Australian student visa, {and a copy of the University of Melbourne Schedule of Degree Conferring Ceremonies available from}.

Yours sincerely,
<your name>
<your residential address in Australia>

Dependant family members

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) allows most students to bring their family members to Australia as their dependents. Dependent family members include your spouse or de facto partner and dependent children. You must declare all your dependent family members in your student visa application, even if they do not travel with you.

Read: DIBP – How to apply for family members to join you.

Issues to consider

There are many important issues to consider if you plan to bring your family while you study. These include additional financial responsibility, employment opportunities for your spouse, accommodation, schooling and childcare.

Read: Students with family

Visa application

You and your family members can make a combined application or they can apply to join you later provided you declared them in your student visa application or they became a family member after the grant of your student visa (such as a newborn baby). You should notify DIBP of your newborn child by completing a notification of changes in circumstances.

You must have funds to support yourself and all accompanying family members already in Australia as well as those included in the current application.

More information is available about How to apply for family members to join you.

To apply for your dependants to join you after you have commenced your studies in Australia:

  • Obtain a Reference letter that you are still studying
  • Refer to other documents required
  • You must apply for this visa online. If you hold a student visa, this application is referred to as a subsequent student visa application. After you have gathered and scanned the documents that support your application, create an account and apply for your student visa with the DIBP online application system – ImmiAccount.


If you are under 18 years of age and require a family member to stay with you in Australia, he or she can apply for a Student Guardian visa. For more information, refer to arrangements for students under 18 years old.