Extending your stay

You can use the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website as a guide for information. You can engage in a registered migration agent to assist you with non-student visas.

If you have completed your studies and you wish to extend your stay in Australia you will need to apply for another visa. Usually you can only apply for another visa if you do not have a 'No Further Stay' condition on your current student visa.

For general information, contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

You can use the services of a registered migration agent to help you with your visa application.

Visa options

Please note - the Student Visa Support team are only able to provide advice regarding student visas. If you require assistance with other visa issues (including those listed below), you can engage a registered migration agent.

Graduation or holiday

If you are planning to attend your graduation ceremony or go on a holiday in Australia, you can apply for a visitor visa. You may be asked to provide a copy of your academic transcript (ordering an academic transcript) showing that you have completed your course. This visa does not allow you to work.

Temporary Graduate Visa

You may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). This visa allows you to work, travel or study in Australia. There are strict eligibility criteria.

Further study

If you have accepted an offer of place in a CRICOS registered course, you will have to obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and lodge an application for a student visa.

Work experience

If you have completed your degree course and wish to undertake practical training, you may be eligible to apply for a Training and Research visa (subclass 407). The training must be closely related to the course you have completed or a requirement for registration in a profession. First you must find an organisation in Australia that is able to sponsor and nominate for training. When your nomination is lodged or approved, you can lodge an application for the Occupational Trainee visa.

Skilled workers

If you have recently completed one or more Australian qualifications and have work experience, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent or temporary visa. There are various temporary and permanent visa options available for applicants in Australia.


If a prospective employer is able to sponsor you to work in Australia, you may be eligible to apply for an employer sponsored visa.