Health cover for students on student visas

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) requires applicants for a student visa to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in place for the duration of their visa. Most students from Belgium, Sweden and Norway are exempted. OSHC covers the cost for out-of-hospital and some hospital medical treatment, pharmaceuticals and emergency ambulance services. More information is available from the Australian Government Department of Health.

Health insurance arrangements that are not approved by the Department of Health do not satisfy the criteria for the grant of a student visa.

Purchasing OSHC through the University

The University of Melbourne can arrange visa-length OSHC provided by Allianz Global Assistance. You can pay the health cover premium when accepting your offer of place. The University will inform the DIBP that OSHC is in place for you and your family members and will indicate this on your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).

Allianz Global Assistance is the University’s preferred OSHC provider. Membership benefits include 24-hour assistance via its helpline and access to OSHC representatives at the Parkville campus. Further information about OSHC, including prices, claims, family cover is available from the Allianz Global Assistance OSHC website.

If the University has arranged OSHC on your behalf, you will be covered from the date you arrive in Australia. You can order your OSHC card online when you are in Australia. If you need to access medical services but do not have your OSHC card yet, you can print a temporary certificate from the Allianz Global Assistance OSHC website.

Arranging your own OSHC

You can purchase OSHC from an approved Australian health insurance provider. When you accept your unconditional offer of place, you must indicate that you have purchased OSHC for the expected duration of your visa.

Changing visas

Only applicants or holders of a student visa are eligible for OSHC. If you hold a different visa, or your student visa has ceased and you have applied for another visa, you should arrange alternative health insurance.

Health cover for students on other temporary visas

It is recommended and often a visa requirement that holders of temporary visa (other than student visas) have adequate health insurance in place. Many Australian insurance providers offer Overseas Visitor Health Cover, but you can also choose adequate health insurance from a provider in your home country.

Reciprocal arrangements

Australia has reciprocal health care arrangements with a number of countries, including Great Britain, Finland, New Zealand, Ireland, Italy, Malta and the Netherlands. Visitors from these countries are entitled to limited subsidised health services.

More information Medicare - Reciprocal Health Care Arrangements

Permanent visas

Most applicants for or holders of a permanent visa are eligible to enrol in Medicare, Australia's health care system.