Rae and Edith Bennett Travelling Scholarship
The Rae and Edith Bennett Travelling Scholarship is funded by the Rae and Edith Bennett Travelling Scholarship Fund and enables students and graduates of the University of Melbourne to undertake postgraduate study or research in the United Kingdom. Applicants should intend to commence their postgraduate study in the UK within 16 months of the application closing date.
- Benefits and conditions
- Eligibility criteria
- Selection criteria
- Application process (including required documents)
- Application outcome
- Closing dates and timelines
- For further information
The scholarship is awarded as funds permit.
The scholarship is valued at ~ $40,000 to $60,000 per annum.
The value of the scholarship depends on:
- the quality and nature of the application
- the anticipated living and education costs of the proposed postgraduate study or research
- the exchange rate when the scholarship is awarded
- available funds.
The value of the Rae and Edith Bennett Travelling Scholarship is adjusted if the recipient receives another scholarship for the course/research in the United Kingdom. Please see the scholarship conditions below for further information.
The scholarship can be awarded for a minimum of one year and a maximum of three years. Extensions beyond three years are not possible.
For a list of conditions relating to this scholarship please see the 2013/2014 Award Conditions.
- The scholarship is open to students and graduates of the University of Melbourne who can demonstrate outstanding academic merit and promise.
- Applicants must intend to commence postgraduate study or research in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland).
- The study/research should be for a substantial period - at least 12 months.
- Evidence of acceptance into a postgraduate course, a formal research arrangement, or written communication with the course co-ordinator or supervisor must accompany the scholarship application.
- Applicants cannot apply for the Rae and Edith Bennett Travelling Scholarship for study/research which has already commenced or been completed.
- Applicants who already hold a qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought are ineligible.
- Applicants pursuing a post-doctorate research program are ineligible to apply for the scholarships.
- The postgraduate study or research can form part of a University of Melbourne graduate course or result in a degree from the United Kingdom. Applicants who wish to credit their studies/research in the UK toward a University of Melbourne course must obtain approval from their faculty.
- Previous recipients (ie. payments of entitlements have been received) cannot reapply for this scholarship.
- Applicants will be expected to complete their University of Melbourne qualifications before commencing an overseas qualification. The only exception applies to those applicants for whom their overseas studies will form part of their University of Melbourne qualification.
The scholarship is awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievements
- Extra-curricular/community activities and personal qualities
- Financial position
- Meeting the criteria noted in the 'Eligibility' section.
Selection is made by the Graduate Research Scholarships Committee. The Committee will interview short-listed applicants. Interview is held in mid August. If unavailable for a face-to-face interview a short-listed candidate may elect to be interviewed by telephone.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for other scholarships to support their overseas studies/research. Scholarship information can be obtained from JASON, the British Council, the Association of Commonwealth Universities website and the UK institution at which the studies will be undertaken.
Download the Application Form, Estimated Budget, Referee Report Form and Guidelines and submit the completed forms to Melbourne Scholarships by the closing date. Applicants are advised to read the Guidelines before completing an application.
Applicants can only be considered if they meet the eligibility requirements stated above and if the required documents are submitted with the application by the closing date. It is suggested that you keep a copy of your application for future reference.
The following documents must be submitted with the application form.
- Official transcript/s of all tertiary study undertaken to date. The transcript/s should include a results key, ie. an explanation of the University's grading system.
- A resume which provides a list of qualifications undertaken, academic prizes, relevant work experience and extra curricular activities including any involvement in community activities.
- A written statement containing full details of the proposed study or research (two pages maximum).
- Evidence of acceptance into a postgraduate course, or research program at a tertiary institution in the United Kingdom, or a formal research agreement, or written communication with the course co-ordinator or supervisor.
- A completed Estimated Budget form (see above). The budget information should include estimates of the cost of flights, living expenses and university fees.
- Two academic references and one personal reference (in a free format). The academic references must be provided on the Referee Report Form below. The references should be marked 'confidential' and sent directly by the referees to the Prestigious Travelling Scholarships Officer at Melbourne Scholarships, Ground Floor, Baldwin Spencer Building, University of Melbourne, VIC 3010. Senior academic staff members who are familiar with your most recent academic work and achievements should provide the academic references. The personal reference should comment on your extracurricular activities and personal qualities.
Applicants must submit three copies of the complete application ie. one original and two copies.
Applicants will be advised by early August if they have been short-listed for an interview. Short-listed applicants will receive written notification of their success or otherwise by late August.
30 June (or the next working day if this date falls on a weekend). Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Please contact Melbourne Scholarships.