Provision of Child Care
The University has provided child care facilities since late 1970. Several types of services have operated over the years from different sites. The two current centres: Swanston Street Children's Centre and Queensberry Children's Centre have operated from those sites since 1980 and 1995 respectively, providing a total of 138 long day care places for the University Community.
Early Childhood Education Services Vision
To support the University's vision to be "one of the finest universities in the world" through the provision of quality early childhood care and education services for the children of staff and students, and the wider community.
We do this through:
- Respectfully recognising that our services are provided on the traditional lands of the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nations, and working to ensure our programs are inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge and cultures.
- Striving to continuously improve our services and programs, through critical reflection on practice, and utilising the skills and knowledge of our staff.
- Supporting our educators to actively engage in ongoing professional learning and with contemporary research on young children’s thinking and learning
- Participating, as a part of the University, in teaching and research, particularly in early childhood education, and promoting the benefits of such collaborations
- Embracing the cultural, racial, gendered, sexual religious and socio-economic diversity of the children using our services, their families, their teachers, the University community, and the wider local, national and international communities
- Advocating for the rights and interests of young children within the University and broader communities.
- To promote the rights and interests of young children through care and education programs that enhance children's wellbeing and learning
- To support University students and University staff with young children through the provision of high quality, accessible and affordable early childhood services
- To support the University’s teaching and research through involvement in relevant projects
- To employ skilled and committed staff who are properly recognised and valued for their work
- To promote the value of high quality early childhood provision within the University and the wider community, as a strong foundation for lifelong earning in a changing world.
Please follow the links below or navigate through the drop down menu on the left to find out more about Children's Services.