Other Child Care Services

Because of the shortage of child care places it is useful to apply to several centres. Choose from services close to your home or work, or along the route you travel to work.

Some child care centres are community owned and managed, and others are operated by local councils, charitable trusts, or educational establishments. Others may be owned by individuals or companies and operate for profit. Child care centres are also called long day care centres. Family day care, occasional care and out of school care are other types of provision.

The federal government’s My Child website provides information for families and carers about the various sorts of early childhood education and care services available as well as information about getting help with your child care costs. You can also search for centres in your local area to see if they have vacancies. mychild.gov.au also provides a range of other information to support families with young children.

Local councils also maintain information about children's services in their areas. Below are details of the councils near the University, but try your local council as well.

City of Melbourne

Moreland City Council

City of Yarra