Help with your fees

Your child care fees will vary according to each family's individual circumstances. Families may be eligible for one or more of the following types of financial assistance with the payment of fees:

Child Care Benefit (CCB)

Child Care Benefit (CCB) is administered by the Department of Human Services, and helps families with their child care costs. Based on your family income, a payment may be made directly to the centre to reduce your child care fees. Families can also opt to apply for a lump sum payment at the end of the financial year, rather than as a weekly fee subsidy. Higher income families may receive no CCB, but can still be eligible for the Child Care Rebate.

Exact income thresholds are dependent on the number of children in care and are adjusted each year. To be eligible for any benefit you will have to register with through Centrelink.

Child Care Rebate

The Child Care Rebate helps families with the cost of child care and is also administered by the Department of Human Services. The Child Care Rebate covers 50 per cent of out-of-pocket child care expenses for approved child care, with a rebate of up to $7,500 per child per year, for eligible families. Even if your Child Care Benefit assessment is 0%, you will still be eligible for CCR.

Child Care Rebate can be paid in four ways:

  1. Paid directly to the service, as a reduction in your fees
  2. Paid directly to your bank account each week or fortnight
  3. As a quarterly payment from the Family Assistance Office
  4. As an annual payment to your bank account.

When you elect your payment method it will be applied for the financial year, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

These Commonwealth government benefits (CCB and CCR) are generally available to Australian residents and international students on certain Australian government scholarships, such as AusAid.

More Information

Government information on help with your Child Care Fees.

Staff Families

Employees of the University are able to pay their child care fees at our Children's Centres through pre or post tax salary deductions.

Please seek financial advice before deciding to use pre tax deductions (salary sacrifice) as this may affect your eligibility for government payments including Child Care Benefit and the Child Care Rebate. Further information is available from the Human Resources division.

Families who wish to use post tax salary deductions to pay their account should contact our Administration staff on 8344 9621 for further information.

Please contact Children's Services Administration for all salary deduction calculations and submission of forms.

Student Families

Student families may be eligible for the government benefits listed above. International student families are only eligible for government benefits if they are on particular government scholarships. International Student Services can provide more information.

All student families - domestic and international - can apply for the Student Rebate to assist with costs of attending any child care centre. The University's children's centres have discounted rates for students.

The Student Rebate is linked to the percentage of Child Care Benefit that families receive. To be eligible for the rebate your Child Care Benefit rate must be 51% or more, and you must be enrolled for the year the rebate is requested at the University of Melbourne.

As there is a fixed amount allocated for the Student Rebate Scheme by the University, the rates are set depending on the number of applicants. To determine the rates for the first six months we request you to submit your application form as soon as possible. From July different rates may apply if a large number of applications has been submitted after March.

Overseas full fee paying students who are not eligible for a Child Care Benefit through the Commonwealth may be eligible for a student rebate. Please contact the Children's Services Administrative Officer on 8344 9621 for further information and assistance.

You can also apply for the student rebate if your child attends a child care centre other than the university centres.

If you are eligible, please complete an Application Form and return it with the required attachments to Children's Services Administration Office, 228 Queensberry Street, Carlton 3053