Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable, frightened, or threatened. It is sexual activity that you have not freely agreed to, where another person uses emotional or physical force, coercion, or threats against you.

Sexual assault and sexual harassment are always unacceptable – at university and anywhere else. It is not your fault.

Emergency & Crisis Support

University Security on 8344 6666 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for on-the-spot help. If your situation is immediately life-threatening or urgent, always call Victoria Police on 000 first.

For medical and crisis counselling support:

24-hour response to recent sexual assaults for women and men is available at:

Women’s Emergency Care

Lower Ground

20 Flemington Road

Parkville Victoria

The Royal Women’s Hospital Sexual Assault Crisis Line – provides crisis care response for people who have experienced sexual assault

Phone: 9635 3610 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)


Sexual Assault Crisis Line – state-wide, after-hours, confidential, telephone crisis counselling service for people who have experienced both past and recent sexual assault.

Phone: 1800 806 292 (5pm – 9am)


1800Respect – National sexual assault, domestic and family violence counselling service (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Phone: 1800 737 732

Online Chat:


Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre - Victoria's 24/7 family violence support service

Phone: 1800 015 188 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)


No to Violence Men’s Referral Service - men's family violence telephone counselling, information, and referral service in Victoria, New South Wales, and Tasmania, and is the central point of contact for men taking responsibility for their violent behaviour.

Phone: 1300 766 491 (9am – 9pm, Monday – Friday)



Every person’s experience of sexual assault is different, and the kind of supports you want or need are individual and can change over time. Some people may find it helpful to get help from their family and friends, while others may also want support outside of their personal networks. It is important to know that there are many support options and that it is your choice to decide what will work best for you.

There are a range of services that can support your physical, emotional, practical and/or legal needs.

Within the University, current and former students can receive support from the Safer Community Program. If you, or someone you know, has been sexually assaulted, you can report incidents and access support, advice, information and other specialist services here. The Safer Community Program can be contacted by:

Phone: 9035 8675


Or drop into Stop 1 on the corner of Grattan and Swanston Streets

The Safer Community website also includes information about reporting to Victoria Police.

Other services within the University include Counselling and Psychological Services, where there are experienced counsellors who can help and give you an idea of what other assistance is available, and the University Health Service for medical support.

For University Staff, the Inappropriate Workplace Behaviour Line is now available for employees to report inappropriate employee behaviour of unlawful discrimination, harassment, bullying, stalking, sexual assault, victimisation or vilification. Employees who experience or observe behaviours inconsistent with the University's Appropriate Workplace Behaviour Policy: should, in the first instance, contact their line manager and HR manager, or if this is not an option, contact the Inappropriate Workplace Behaviour Line on 1800 685 463.

Outside the University, there are Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASAs) located throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria. CASA aims to provide access to comprehensive and timely support and intervention to address the needs of women, children and men who have experienced sexual assault.

inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence offers free and confidential support services to migrant and refugee women living in Victoria, who are experiencing or have experienced family violence. Their workers speak many different community languages and work in a culturally sensitive manner.