LGBTIQA+ Counselling and Support
You're not alone @ UniMelb
At UniMelb, we recognise the richness diversity brings and pride ourselves on fostering and promoting a diverse and inclusive learning and working environment free from discrimination, harassment, vilification, or victimisation based on sexual orientation, sexuality, or gender identity.
We acknowledge there are a wide range of unique challenges facing people from the LGBTIQA+ community:
- Sexual preferences and decisions on "coming out/inviting in"
- Determining an authentic sense of "self" in relation to societal pressures
- Strategies to deal with improving self-esteem and confidence to better deal with isolation, harassment, rejection or homophobia
- Safe sex practices and health-related matters
- Managing depression, anxiety and stress
We are here to help
You may be questioning or decided it is time to tell others about your sexuality or gender identity. This can be an important, exciting, and affirming moment for every LGBTIQA+ person, however, it can also be a daunting and often challenging process. Where do you start, who do you invite in, and how do you do it?
It is usually helpful to talk with someone you trust. You might want to talk to a friend or a qualified counsellor. If you are questioning or planning to invite others in, our specialist LGBTIQA+ Counsellor can support you through the process.
As a member of the LGBTIQA+ community, they understand what it's like, which means you don't have to explain yourself. You can just focus on the issues that matter to you.
Community connection & support
Becoming part of an LGBTIQA+ community can be an important step in building a support network and making lasting social connections with people who understand issues specific to LGBTIQA+ people. The UMSU Queer Department can also help in providing advice and a safe place, along with local support groups and resources listed below.
Links for further support
LGBTIQA+ Services Offering Counselling
- QLife/Switchboard - A national 24/7 phone counselling service.
- Drummond St Services Queerspace - Family support agency that provides counselling and support to LGBTIQA+ people and their families.
- Thorne Harbour Heatlh - Counselling, peer and community support for local LGBTIQA community in the areas of HIV, Trans and Gender Diverse health, mental health, Alcohol & Other Drugs and relationship and family violence.
- Mind Equality Centre - Psychological services for sexually and gender diverse people including occupational therapy; individual, couples, group and family relationship counselling; and sex therapy.
LGBTIQA+ Friendly GP Clinics & Health Resources
- Northside Clinic - LGBTIQ+ oriented general practice and sexual health clinic in Fitzroy North.
- Prahran Market Clinic - A general medical practice in Prahran with particular focus on gay, lesbian and gender diverse health.
- The Centre Clinic - A general medical practice in St Kilda providing general health care for LGBTI community.
- DocLIST - Online list of doctors and mental health professionals recommended by lesbian and bisexual women in Australia.
- equinox - Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) management, sexual health and counselling.
- GLHV - Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria - GLHV is a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) health and wellbeing policy resource unit.
- Touchbase - Information, support and services for LGBTI on alcohol and drugs, mental health and sexual health.
- Rainbow Families - A community organisation for rainbow families.
- Transgender Victoria - Information and resources page for the Victorian transgender community.
- Trans and Gender Diverse Anxiety Support Group - A support group that provides information and self-help opportunities for trans and gender diverse (TGD) people experiencing anxiety.
- YGender - A peer led social support and advocacy group for trans/gender diverse young people.
- Seahorse Victoria - Support and social group for the Victorian transgender community.
- FTM Australia - FTM Australia is a peer based Australia-wide network offering links to contact for men identified 'female' at birth who medically transition to male.
- equinox - Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, HRT management, sexual health, and counselling.
- Organisation Intersex International - Support, education, and policy development for people with intersex variations or traits focusing on human rights, bodily autonomy, and self-determination, and on evidence-based, patient-directed healthcare.
- Bi-alliance Victoria - A non-profit volunteer-run organisation dedicated to promoting the acceptance of bisexuals in LGBTI and mainstream society.
Things To Do To Feel Connected
Black Rainbow - Supports the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander lesbian, gay, bisexual, sistergirl & brotherboy and queer community.
Rainbow Network - Community organisations discussing LGBTQI issues.
Joy 94.9 - Australian's only 24/7 LGBTQI radio station.
Star Observer/Star online - The latest in LGBTIQ news from around Australia.
LGBTIQ Multicultural Directory - List of multicultural LGBTIQ services and supports