For over 12 years, a group of University staff with an interest in a “whole of university approach” to mental health has met four times a year to share information and collaborate on mental health initiatives.
Previously known as the Mental Health Promotion and Support Strategy Working Group, and before that as the Mental Health Strategy Working Group, it was established to support the University of Melbourne Mental Health Strategy.
The group renewed its purpose and aim, and became the Mental Health Advisory Group, in early 2019.
The group is chaired by the Manager, Counselling and Psychological Services.
Terms of reference
The University of Melbourne is a pre-eminent institution of international standing with research strengths in mental health in tertiary education.
The Mental Health Advisory Group is established to:
- advise University leadership on current and emerging issues, trends and themes relating to mental health, and the raising of awareness of these matters across the University.
- provide a forum for representatives from the University community to share information, and collaborate on mental health initiatives, and to collectively build mental health capacity.
Meeting and operation
The Mental Health Advisory Group meets four times per year, for one and a half hours.
Meeting dates for 2019 are:
- 29 March 2019
- 21 June 2019
- 30 August 2019
- 1 November 2019
- Manager, Counselling and Psychological Services, Academic Services: Orania Tokatlidis (Chair)
- Director, Wellbeing, Academic Services: Daniel Persaud
- Director, Students & Equity in Chancellery (Academic and International): Dr Evan Kritikakos
- A/Manager, Campus Community (student support services), Academic Services: Catherine Sedunary
- Manager, Health Service, Academic Services: Anne McGlashan
- Representative from HR or nominee a mental health/equity portfolio: Yet to be filled
- An academic staff member from the Melbourne Centre for Study of Higher Education with an interest in mental health: Dr Chi Baik
- Academic staff members from Faculties with an interest in mental health:
- Prof Katrina McFerran, A/Dean Students, Faculty of Fine Arts and Music
- Prof Andrew Ooi, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Melbourne School of Engineering
- Dr Laura Dooley, Veterinary BioSciences, Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Science (on maternity leave)
- An academic staff member from the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science: A/Prof Lisa Phillips, Melbourne School of Psychological Science
- Professional staff members in faculty based wellbeing roles:
- Danielle Clayman, Wellbeing Officer, Melbourne Medical School
- Leon Chor, Student Academic Adjustment and Wellbeing Officer, Melbourne Law School
- Professional staff member in a student services advisory role: Lee Papworth, Manager Student Equity and Disability, Academic Services
- A representative of Murrup Barak Melbourne Institute of Indigenous Development: Rula Patterson
- Mental Health Training Program Coordinator, Counselling and Psychological Services, Academic Services: Clare Kentmann
- Heads of Colleges representative: Margie Welsford, Dean and Deputy Principle, Janet Clarke Hall
- A representative from the Centre for Positive Psychology, Melbourne Graduate School of Education: A/Prof Aaron Jarden
- A representative from the RMIT Student Village, UoM Campus: Michael Lynch, General Manager
- A representative from the University of Melbourne Student Union with a welfare/disability portfolio: Jocelyn Deane/Lucy Birch, Disabilities Student Representatives, UMSU
- A representative from the University of Melbourne Graduate Student Association with a welfare/disability portfolio: Jessie Downie
- Two consumers of mental health services (a current student and a current staff member): Yet to be filled
For any enquiries, contact Orania Tokatlidis (Manager, Counselling and Psychological Services):
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 03 8344 6927