Sexual assault

Sexual assault and harrassment are always unacceptable. If you've experienced this, there are a range of services that can support you.

Sexual assault is any unwanted sexual behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable, frightened, or threatened. It is sexual activity that you have not freely agreed to, where another person uses emotional or physical force, coercion or threats against you.

Sexual assault and sexual harassment are always unacceptable – at university and anywhere else. It is not your fault.

Emergency and crisis support

  • For emergencies on campus, call University Security on 03 8344 6666 for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week help.
  • If your situation is immediately life-threatening or urgent, call Victoria Police on 000.

For more information on medical and crisis counselling support for sexual assault, see our emergencies page.

Support for people who have experienced sexual assault

If you've experienced sexual assault, there are a range of services that can support your physical, emotional, practical and/or legal needs.

Every person’s experience of sexual assault is different, and the kind of support you want or need is individual and can change over time. Some people can find it helpful to get help from their family and friends, while others may also want support outside of their personal networks. It is important to know that there are many options, and it's your choice to decide what will work best for you.

Within the University, current and former students can receive support from the Safer Community Program. If you, or someone you know, has been sexually assaulted, you can use the Safer Community Program to report incidents and access support, advice, information and other specialist services.

The Safer Community Program can be contacted by:

At Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS), we have experienced counsellors who can help and give you an idea of what other assistance is available. The University Health Service is also available for medical support.

MySafety is a website for students at the University who are worried about something that happened during sex, concerned about their relationship, or trying to help a friend. It's completely anonymous, and can help you reflect on things that have happened, make decisions about what to do next, and find out what help is available.

For staff

The Inappropriate Workplace Behaviour Line is available to report inappropriate employee behaviour such as unlawful discrimination, harassment, bullying, stalking, sexual assault, victimisation or vilification. Employees who experience or observe behaviours inconsistent with the University's Appropriate Workplace Behaviour Policy should, in the first instance, contact their line manager and HR manager, or if this is not an option, contact the Inappropriate Workplace Behaviour Line on 1800 685 463.

External support

  • There are Centres Against Sexual Assault (CASAs) located throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria. CASA aims to provide access to comprehensive and timely support and intervention to address the needs of women, children, and men who have experienced sexual assault.
  • inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence offers free and confidential support services to migrant and refugee women living in Victoria, who are experiencing or have experienced family violence. Their workers speak many different community languages and work in a culturally sensitive manner.

For more information on help and support services for sexual assault, see our emergency and crisis support page.