Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a certified training program which teaches you how to provide initial support to someone in a mental health crisis situation, or someone who is developing a mental disorder, until professional treatment is received or the crisis resolves.
About Mental Health First Aid training
MHFA training covers mental health problems including:
- Anxiety problems
- Substance use problems
and mental health crisis situations including:
- Suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Panic attacks
- Severe effects of drug or alcohol use
- Severe psychotic states
- Aggressive behaviours
In this course you will learn signs to look out for that someone around you might be experiencing mental health problems or in crisis, how to have MHFA conversations, what to do and who to contact for further support for the person you are helping.
Blended Mental Health First Aid Course for Tertiary Students
Blended MHFA training consists of online training followed by a half-day face-to-face workshop.
When registering for the online training, please note:
- Use your University of Melbourne student email address.
- Online training has a cost of $50, this is paid directly to Mental Health First Aid Australia.
- It is recommended that you allow 8 hours to complete the online training.
- You must have completed the online training before attending a face-to-face workshop. Please email your certificate of completion of the online training to us at CAPSemail@example.com at least 1 week prior to the face to face session you are registered in to confirm your place.
- The face-to-face workshop is free for currently enrolled University of Melbourne students.
Workshop times and dates for 2020 are listed below. Registrations will open one month before each workshop. Please only register for one session; and cancel your registration if you are no longer able to attend so places can be offered to students on the waitlist.
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Wednesday 26 February||12.30 - 4.30pm||Registration open|
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Friday 27 March||12.30 - 4.30pm||
Registration opens |
Friday 28 February
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Wednesday 15 April||12 - 4pm||Registration opens|
Wednesday 18 March
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Tuesday 12 May||12 - 4pm||Registration opens|
Tuesday 14 April
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Monday 22 June||9.30am - 1.30pm|| Registration opens|
Monday 18 May
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Thursday 23 July||10.30am - 2.30pm||Registration opens|
Thursday 25 June
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Tuesday 18 August||9.30am - 1.30pm||Registration opens|
Tuesday 14 July
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Wednesday 9 September|
(R U OK? Day)
|9.30am - 1.30pm||Registration opens|
Wednesday 12 August
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Friday 2 October||12.30 - 4.30pm||Registration opens|
Friday 4 September
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Monday 16 November||9.30am - 1.30pm||Registration opens|
Monday 12 October
|Mental Health First Aid (Blended)||Wednesday 9 December||9.30am - 1.30pm||Registration opens|
Wednesday 11 November
Standard 2-Day Mental Health First Aid Training
For any Mental Health First Aid Training enquiries, please email CAPSfirstname.lastname@example.org.