Concessions & Discounts

Student concessions

Student concessions are a great way to save money. Discounts for students are available on goods, services and entertainment such as health care, public transport, airfares, movies, haircuts, Museum entry, computers, restaurants, art supplies, newspapers and the list goes on.

How do you get student discounts?

The following cards will entitle you to concessions on goods and services

Victorian Public Transport concession

To receive concession fares on public transport you must purchase a concession card or have a Health Care Card. Eligibility conditions apply.

You can access your PTV Tertiary ID Application Form online via the Student Portal. The PTV Tertiary ID forms will automatically print with your details and photo. The form then needs to be taken to a premium station. If you are not eligible for a concession, you will be notified if you try and access the form online. The eligibility criteria is set by Public Transport Victoria.

Most international students and Australian students studying at a postgraduate level (who don't have a Health Care Card) are not eligible for transport concessions.

International exchange students are eligible for transport concession.

Health Care Cards

Health Care Card holders are entitled to a range of benefits including public transport concession. The card is applied for through Centrelink.

Students on low incomes who do not receive a Centrelink benefit may also be eligible for a Low Income Health Care Card.

Medical benefits include hospital and ambulance cover, free medical consultations and subsidised prescription medication through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).Not all concessions are health related. Further concessions apply to:

Bond Loan Scheme

Local students who are on low incomes may be able to apply for a loan from the Department of Human Services in order to pay the bond on a rental property.

Other concessions and discounts

Australians on low incomes may be eligible for benefits within the community such as financial assistance and emergency relief, health care assistance, housing assistance, consumer and legal rights information. For full details of all government concessions, visit the Department of Human Services site.

Parking concessions for students with a disability

The University of Melbourne may waive the cost of on-campus parking permit for students who have a disability and are in financial need.

To apply for a fee-waiver parking permit please make an appointment with Student Financial Aid after you have received approval from the parking office to park on campus. A medical certificate relating to the disability will be required.