Moving to Melbourne

Melbourne Accommodation Program

Melbourne Accommodation Program

Receive an accommodation guarantee in a University residency close to the Parkville campus.

Find out more

First steps

  • Be informed before you arrive. Learn about renting in Melbourne and the different types of housing options and lease agreements, it will mean that you can get straight into house hunting once you arrive.
  • If possible, arrive in Melbourne a few weeks before Orientation - this will give you enough time to find suitable accommodation and settle in before classes commence.
  • Make sure you arrange or book temporary accommodation for your arrival and are financially prepared for the time you may need to spend in temporary accommodation.
  • Make housing your first priority but don’t rush. Rushing can lead to bad decisions and housing problems can have a major impact on your studies.

Accommodation options

Melbourne Accommodation Program

Receive an accommodation guarantee in a University residency close to the Parkville campus.

More about the Melbourne Accommodation Program →

Residential Colleges

There are eleven Residential Colleges at the University of Melbourne. They provide an enriching and supportive environment for approximately 2500 undergraduate and graduate students.

Located in Parkville and Carlton, the colleges offer first-class academic support, cultural activities and sporting programs. Each college has a vibrant and diverse social atmosphere.

More about Residential Colleges →

Accommodation Partners

Individual and shared apartments reserved for University of Melbourne students.

View accommodation partners →

Student Apartments

Student apartments are properties specifically designed for University students. These properties are fully furnished and often provide community building activities that allow you to get to know other students and connect with the University. Hostels often cater for more independent residents and shorter stays.

View student apartments →

Student Hostels

Student Hostels provide fully furnished and lockable rooms within a larger property. They usually cater for short term as well as long term stays.

View student hostels →


Homestay options provide a furnished room and vary in cost depending on your arrangement. Meals are usually provided in full-board homestays.

How to arrange homestay →

Private Rentals

Many students choose to rent an apartment or property through the private rental market. You can rent alone or organise to share the property with other tenants.

Renting a place →

Share Housing

Share houses often offer a cheaper alternative to other accommodations options as well as giving more independence. However private renting also means more responsibility so be sure to research your options and prepare in advance.

Organising share housing →

Temporary Accommodation

Contact list of temporary accommodation providers including backpackers, motels and apartments.

Temporary accommodation →

International student - Under 18 Supervision Program

The Department of Home Affairs requires all international students who will be under 18 years of age when entering Australia on a student visa, to have appropriate accommodation, support and welfare arrangements in place. These arrangements must be registered with the University before accepting your offer.

More information →

UnitingCare lifeAssist Homeshare

UnitingCare lifeAssist Homeshare is a free, Government funded program that matches people who need companionship and some practical assistance (e.g. cooking, housework) to live at home with people who need accommodation. You provide your own food and a share of utility bills.

More information →

Additional Resources

The Tenants Union of Victoria (TUV) produces some great information for students who are renting in Victoria and include:

  • What Are My Housing Options?
  • Which Housing Option is Right For Me?
  • How Do I Find and Apply for Housing?
  • Property Inspection Checklist
  • What Do the Real Estate Abbreviations Stand For?
  • What Do I Need to Know Before Moving In? (Private Rental and Sharehouses)
  • What Do I Need to Know Before Moving In? (Rooming Houses)
  • What Do I Need to Know Before Moving Out?
  • Keeping the ‘Mates’ in Housemates

TUV fact sheets for students