Empower yourself

It is important that you take the time to research and learn about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. Most (not all) rental agreements in Melbourne, Victoria are covered by the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA). This information is available in languages other than English via Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) or  Tenants Victoria

Applying for properties

Consumer Affairs Victoria has detailed information about Starting a Tenancy which includes preparing an application, calculating rent and discrimination in renting.

You may be asked to provide the details of a contact person at the university such as a course co-ordinator. This practice is not appropriate because:

  1. Many newly-arrived students searching for housing before semester start will neither have enrolled, nor had any contact with their lecturers/course co-ordinators.
  2. The Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic) also means that University staff are unable to confirm a student’s enrolment with a third party (such as a real estate agent or landlord).

You may prefer to provide evidence that you will be a student at The University of Melbourne e.g. a copy of your letter of offer.

Types of agreements

It is important you know what type of rental arrangement you are in, as this determines your legal rights and responsibilities.

Read more

Additional Tenancy Advice

What is the RTA?

Starting a Tenancy

During a Tenancy

Illegal Charges

Share House Disputes


Moving Out

Bond Return