Change in visa status

If you are an international student and you have been granted a new Australian temporary or permanent visa, you must notify the University immediately. The process of informing the University depends on the status of your enrolment.

You will also need to arrange appropriate health cover.

Before your course commences

If you applied for admission as an international student and you become an Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen before the start of your course (i.e. completing your enrolment), you must notify International Admissions. Your application will be reassessed to determine if you are eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place (if available).

Refer to International students granted Australian permanent residency

After your course commences

International students who have commenced their course and are granted a new visa, should notify Stop 1 depending on the type of visa.

Temporary visa

If you are granted a new temporary visa, please update your details in my.unimelb (Student admin > Personal details > Update my citizenship and residency details).

Although you will remain an international full-fee student, your study entitlements will change when you are granted a temporary visa other than a student visa.

Permanent residency

If you are granted a permanent visa or New Zealand citizenship, complete a Notification of Change of Visa and return it together with a certified copy of your permanent visa to Stop 1. At Stop 1, you will also receive further information about your student status and fee liability.