Changing courses or provider

Transferring to another course within the University of Melbourne

How do I apply for a transfer to another course?

Current students who wish to change courses within the University of Melbourne should lodge a new application for admission. For further information visit the future students website.

If you receive a letter of offer for another course, you may accept the offer by completing an offer acceptance agreement (enclosed with the offer letter) and provide a copy of your passport and current visa.

After you accept an offer of place in another course, you should withdraw from your current course via my.unimelb.

Visa implications

Once you have accepted the new offer, you will receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The University will notify the Department of Home Affairs of the changes in your enrolment.

You do not need to apply for a new visa if your student visa is valid for the duration of your new course and your transfer is:

  • to another course at the same level (for example from one Bachelor degree to another)
  • to a course at a higher level (for example from Bachelor to Masters level)
  • from a PhD to a Masters

However, please note that:

  • If your student visa is only valid for part of the duration of your new course, you should renew your student visa within a few weeks before it expires.
  • If you have transferred to a course at a lower level (for example Masters to Bachelor level) you must apply for a new Student visa as soon as you receive your new CoE. The only exception to this is if you are transferring from a PhD to a Masters course as noted above.

Transferring to another education provider

Release Letter Request

Limitations on transfers to another provider

If you have accepted an offer of a place and were granted a student visa to study at the University of Melbourne, you are expected to at least complete six months of your principal course.

You can only transfer to another education provider within six months in limited circumstances:

  1. You have obtained a Letter of Release from the University.
    The application process and circumstance in which the University can issue a Letter of Release are outlined in the University's International Student Transfer Policy.
  2. You are a government sponsored student and your sponsor has agreed in writing with the transfer to another provider.
  3. The course for which you have received a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) ceased to be offered by the University and ceased to be registered on CRICOS.

If you wish to transfer to another provider after you have completed six months of your principal course, you do not need to seek permission from the University.

Visa implications

The University must inform the Department of Education and Training and the Department of Home Affairs that you have transferred to another provider and will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you are transferring to another education provider, there may be visa implications. You may need to apply for a new student visa if your new course is at a lower level. For further information, please refer to the Home Affairs website or contact them on 131 881 to discuss your circumstances.