As a student visa holder you are required to complete your course by the end date on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). This requires you maintain a standard study load of 50 points in each half year period (First half year is January to June; second half year is July to December).

Exceptions to standard study load of 50 points requirements are:

  • An approved reduced study load
  • An approved leave of absence
  • Suspension or points limitation imposed by the Course Unsatisfactory Progress Committee
  • When you are in your final semester and need less than 50 credit points to complete your course

If you have not maintained a standard study load for reasons other than those listed above, an RSL sanction will be placed on your record.

Eligibility for reduced study load

  • Valid reasons

    Compassionate or compelling circumstances

    Examples include:

    • Serious medical reasons
    • Bereavement or trauma
    • Upheaval in home country

    All submissions must include up-to-date supporting documentation. Documents must be in English. Failure to provide documentation will lead to your application being delayed or refused.

    Students approved under this category must maintain a study load of 25 credit points. Students should consider applying for a Leave of Absence if they wish to enrol in less than 25 credit points.

    Course Structure requirements

    • You have failed a prerequisite subject(s) and cannot select 50 credit points to enrol into.
    • You have changed your major and not all subjects are available in the current semester.
      Note: change of major must be actioned in your study plan prior to or on application for RSL.
    • There is limited core subject availability in your major area. Please note, unavailability of major elective subjects is NOT grounds to request a reduced study load. You are expected to enrol in available subjects.
    • You have repeatedly failed a subject(s) that disrupts the progress of your study plan. This must be confirmed by a course planning adviser.

    Identified by the University as making Unsatisfactory Progress

    • Students identified by the Course Unsatisfactory Progress Committee (CUPC) are eligible to request a Reduced Study Load, but are expected to abide by any further outcomes from the CUPC meeting.
    • Students that are restricted to 37.5/25pts in a semester as an outcome of a CUPC meeting don’t need to request a Reduced Study Load.

  • Invalid reasons

    You will not be eligible to reduce their study load for the following reasons:

    • You’re experiencing financial hardship
    • You dislike the available elective subjects. This includes major electives. Students are expected to enrol in 50 credit points if there are subjects available
    • You plan to make up the points in a future study period
    • You wish to underload because you feel you can still complete on time
    • You wish to study less so you can improve your weighted average mark
    • You have timetable clashes
    • You have failed a non-requisite subject
    • Employment reasons

    Requests based on any of the above circumstances will be refused.

How do I apply?

If you are unable to maintain a standard study load due to any of the eligible reasons listed above, you must:

If you need to reduce your load due to subject availability/course structure reasons or unsatisfactory progress, you are strongly encouraged to speak to a Stop 1 course planning adviser.

What are the implications for my student visa?

As a student visa holder, you are required to have a CoE that covers the duration of your course. The University can only extend your course duration and issue a new CoE for approved reasons.

If you extend the duration of your course for unapproved reasons, the University will not be permitted to issue you with a new CoE. You may not be able to complete your course in Australia.

If your course duration has been extended based on approved reasons, you should obtain a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and renew your student visa before it expires.

Minimum enrolment load and online study

To meet your visa obligations, you must be enrolled in at least one subject that is delivered on campus when approved to reduce your study load. Otherwise you will need to apply for leave of absence from your course.

Submit a Reduced Study Load application