When should I arrive in Melbourne?

We recommend booking a flight as early as possible and arrive a few weeks before enrolment. This gives you time to arrange suitable accommodation and to adjust to life in Melbourne.


When choosing long-term housing, it is important to consider a range of factors, including your budget, location, transportation costs and the type of housing arrangement you would like to live in.

If you prefer to wait until you arrive in Melbourne to secure long-term housing, we recommend you arrange temporary accommodation before you arrive. Please ensure you have sufficient funds to pay for temporary accommodation; it can take several weeks to find suitable long-term accommodation.

Go to the Student Housing website for more information on tenancy advice, suburbs in Melbourne, housing options and costs.

Study abroad & exchange students

Melbourne Global Mobility provides comprehensive information about accommodation options for study abroad and exchange students.

Transport from the airport

University Airport Transfer

The University offers a free airport transfer service to commencing interstate or international students (including Study Abroad and Exchange students) from Melbourne Airport to Melbourne’s Central Business District (CBD) and surrounding areas.

You must apply for airport transfer at least 72 hours before your flight departs. See application form for further information.

Apply for airport pickup now

Other transport options

If you are coming with two or more people, it may be cheaper to take a taxi. Use the Taxi Fare Calculator to obtain an estimate taxi fare. There are also bus and shuttle services.

See: To and from the Airport

What can I bring to Australia?

Customs and quarantine laws

Australia has strict quarantine laws to protect its valuable agriculture industries and unique environment.

Before you travel find out what you can’t take into Australia:

When you enter Australia you must complete an Incoming Passenger Card and declare whether you are carrying any food or plant material and animal products. If in doubt, declare!

Other items you must declare, include currency (amount over AUD10,000 in Australian currency or foreign equivalent) and medicines. If you are using prescribed medication, contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission to confirm that the medicines and the amount are permitted. You should also bring a letter from your doctor with details and purpose of the medication.

It is prohibited to carry illicit drugs.

Important documents

  • Valid passport and evidence of your student visa
  • Letter of offer from the University of Melbourne
  • Certified copies of results transcripts from your previous educational institution
  • Medical records (e.g. vaccination history)
  • Other official forms of identification (e.g. certified copies of your birth certificate, international driver's licence)


The four major banks in Australia are ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, NAB and Westpac. There are other local and international banks. When considering which bank is right for you be sure to consider factors, such as fees (some banks do not charge students fees), ATM locations, services offered as well any affiliations with your home banking institution.

Student Financial Aid has information about budgeting and managing your finances.

In Australia, you can often use a debit or credit card to electronically pay (EFTPOS) for goods and services instead of cash. This reduces the need to carry a large amount of money. However there is usually a daily withdrawal limit.

Most Australian banks will give you access to internet banking. It can be a good way to manage your money.

Check with your bank about fees for using EFTPOS and internet banking.

Tax File Number (TFN)

Having a TFN will reduce your tax. To apply for a TFN visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website.