Visas after Course Completion

You can use the Department of Home Affairs website as a guide for information. You can engage with a registered migration agent to assist you with non-student visas.

If you have completed your studies and wish to stay a few months longer to attend your graduation ceremony or holiday, you can generally make an onshore application for a visitor visa unless you have a “no further stay” condition on your current visa.

You can attach evidence that you are attending the ceremony or your academic transcript (ordering an academic transcript) showing that you have completed your course. This visa does not allow you to work.

Temporary Graduate Visa

You may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). This visa allows you to work, travel or study in Australia. There are strict eligibility criteria. See how you can meet the Australian Study requirement.

Skilled workers

If you have recently completed one or more Australian qualifications and have work experience, you may be eligible to apply for a permanent or temporary visa. There are various temporary and permanent visa options available for applicants in Australia.


If a prospective employer is able to sponsor you to work in Australia, you may be eligible to apply for an employer sponsored visa.

Work experience

If you have completed your degree course and wish to undertake practical training, you may be eligible to apply for a Training and Research visa (subclass 407). The training must be closely related to the course you have completed or a requirement for registration in a profession. First you must find an organisation in Australia that is able to sponsor and nominate for training. When your nomination is lodged or approved, you can lodge an application for the Occupational Trainee visa.

Working Holiday or Work and Holiday Visas

Certain nationals may be eligible for the Working Holiday subclass 417 or the Work and Holiday visa subclass 462 visa which allows them to stay in Australia for one year. Applications can only be made outside of Australia.

Further study

If you have accepted an offer of place in a CRICOS registered course, you will obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and submit a new student visa application.