How to invite relatives or friends to visit

If your family wish to visit you while you are in Australia, such as for graduation, the most appropriate visa is a visitor visa.

If your family or relative requires supporting documentation for visitor visa application, you (rather than the University), will need to:

  • Write a letter stating you wish your relative or family to visit you (refer to our sample letter below)
  • Enclose a certified copy of your passport and student visa grant letter
  • Graduation ceremony details (if the invitation is for your graduation).

Provide the letter and supporting documents to your relatives to be included with their visitor visa application.

Sample letter

[address of the Australian visa office in your home country]

Subject: [full name and birth date of the visitor]


Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently enrolled in a course leading to [degree name] at the University of Melbourne and expected to complete my course on [date]. I wish to invite [name of the visitor] to visit me in Australia for [number of weeks or months] {and attend my graduation ceremony on [ceremony date]}.

I have attached a certified copy of my passport and Australian student visa, {and a copy of the University of Melbourne Schedule of Degree Conferring Ceremonies available from}.

Yours sincerely,
[your name as appears on passport]
[your residential address in Australia]

Dependant family members

The Department of Home Affairs allows most students to bring their immediate family members to Australia as their dependents in a combined application or apply at a later date. Dependent family members include your spouse or de facto partner and dependent children. You must declare all your dependent family members in your student visa application, even if they do not travel with you. If declared, they can later join you in Australia as subsequent entrants.

Subsequent entrants

To apply for your dependants to join you after you have commenced your studies in Australia:

If you did not declare a family member and they need to join you in Australia later, you will need to apply for a new student visa including them and explain why there were not included in your application. An exception to this is if they became your family members after your student visa was granted and before a subsequent application was made. You should notify the Department of Home Affairs of your newborn child by completing a notification of changes in circumstances along with a copy of their passport and birth certificate.

Issues to consider

There are many important issues to consider if you plan to bring your family while you study. These include additional financial responsibility, employment opportunities for your spouse, accommodation, schooling and childcare.

Read: Students with family


If you are under 18 years of age and require a family member to stay with you in Australia, he or she can apply for a Student Guardian visa. For more information, refer to arrangements for students under 18 years old.