Canadian Financial Aid

Canadian citizens wishing to study at The University of Melbourne can access a range of student financial aid delivered through Federal and/or Provincial based funding programs.

The University of Melbourne does not calculate eligibility for financial aid for Canadian students; those decisions are made by the granting body. Students are advised to check the amount of funding available to them prior to commencement of their studies. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they can cover the cost of tuition and living expenses for the full duration of their studies.

In most cases students apply to their Province and this application covers both Provincial and Federal funding.

We recommend that you apply early for your funding; avoiding peak processing times created will make your application times shorter. If you are commencing studies in semester one, apply in November or December of the previous year.

Federal Student Loans/Canada Student Loans

Federal Student Loans are interest-free, full-time student loans. The Canadian government will pay the interest on Canada Student Loans while you are studying full-time. You must confirm your student status at the end of each Canadian academic year.

Repayment begins six months after you have stopped being a full-time student and interest on your loan accrues from that time. Please visit the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) for further information.

Provincial Loans

In addition to a federal student loan, you may also be eligible for a full-time student loan from the province or territory where you live. Eligibility for both federal and provincial loans is assessed using a single application form, but each program may have different requirements. Provincial loans vary by province.

For details specific to your province, please contact your student financial assistance office. Please note that residents of Ontario will receive only one loan when they apply for federal and provincial student loan funding.

To be eligible for a Canada Student Loan, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • Reside in a province/territory that issues Canada Student Loans
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Maintain satisfactory academic standards
  • Be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time study load in a degree, diploma or certificate program

Certification of Enrolment Forms

Please ensure that you have completed and signed the student/borrower sections of any forms that require certification. Please ensure that all sections to be completed by the school official are left blank.  You will need to allow at least three working days for the completion of any documentation requiring certification.

You can submit forms via email (please ensure you include your student number in all correspondence) or in person at STOP 1 (corner Grattan and Swanston Streets).

Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) Forms

If you wish to claim educational expenses from your Canadian taxes, the CRA will request that you submit a ‘TL11A Tuition Education & Textbook Amounts Certificate – University Outside Canada’ form. Eligible students can request this form by emailing us with the following information:

  • Student ID number
  • Current postal address
  • Year/s required

An electronic copy of the form will be emailed to you and the original will be sent via postal mail to the address you provide.