Veterans Affairs Loans

The University of Melbourne is an approved institution for the administration of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs funding under the Montgomery GI Bill program.

To find out whether you qualify, visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs will pay eligible student education benefits for pursuit of an approved program of study. Due to the large volume of course approval applications, requests can only be submitted if the student can provide a Certificate of Eligibility from Veterans Affairs and has an offer for a course at the University of Melbourne.

You can check whether your degree is approved here by entering the following details:

  • Institution: University of Melbourne
  • Program Type: Institution of Higher Learning
  • Country: Australia

If your course is not yet approved, contact the Financial Aid Officer/Certifying Official so that course approval can be requested. The course approval process can take between four to six months, so please apply as early as possible.

The Financial Aid Officer/Certifying Official can certify your enrolment once all of the following steps have been completed:

  • Submit the online consent form permitting the University to provide your information to the Department of Veterans Affairs and upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility
  • Received an offer for your chosen course
  • Program has been approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Commenced your studies

You should then start to receive your housing allowance and book stipend. Tuition funds come directly to the University via USD$ cheque. It can take a while for this to be cleared (foreign funds) but once processed, the funds will be allocated against your student record.

Students receiving Veterans Affairs entitlements are required to pay their tuition fees up front, and any VA funding for tuition will then be refunded to you provided you have no outstanding debts. This is because we don’t know when the cheque will be sent, or what the amount will be, and usually fees are due well before tuition cheques are received from Veterans Affairs.

To apply for Veterans' education benefits, submit the application form to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Information on the process and application forms are available here.

Foreign school tuition is currently capped at US$21,970.46 annually and will be prorated based on your eligibility tier. If the benefits you qualify for are insufficient to meet your expected costs then you may wish to apply for US Financial Aid under the Direct Loan Program.

For more information please visit Veterans Affairs or call them on +1 716 857 3196 (dial 1 to be placed at the head of the queue).

Current students

If you withdraw or drop a subject, you may have to repay all or part of the benefits you received for that subject. You must notify the VA certifying official if you:

  • Reduce your hours of enrolment by withdrawing from a subject
  • Withdraw from your studies
  • Make any other changes that would affect your status