Student Housing Access Program (SHAP)
The Student Housing Access Program (SHAP) offers rooms in University-owned 'share houses'. Properties are within walking distance of the Parkville campus. SHAP provides a transitional step towards independent living. It's not unusual for students to experience difficulties in securing or maintaining suitable housing at the start of, or during their studies.
SHAP is designed to assist these students and encourages applications from those who:
- Are from rural, interstate or non-metro areas (does it take you more than one and a half hours, door to door, to travel from home to campus?)
- Have their housing options affected by financial difficulties
- Have been subject to difficulties, discrimination or unusual circumstances that have impacted upon housing
- Have a disability (includes a range of health conditions that have impacted upon access to suitable accommodation)
- Are Indigenous Australian
Applications and contact
You need to complete the SHAP application form to be considered for SHAP.
If you are unable to download the form below, please contact the Student Housing Adviser (Access & Equity) for one to be emailed or posted to you. Submission of SHAP applications by email is appreciated.
Tel: +61 3 8344 6550
Students sign a lease for up to two semesters. This is similar to a standard residential tenancy agreement and provides students with an understanding of their rights and duties in the rental world. SHAP encourages independent living skills and experience. Students also benefit from the back-up support of Student Housing.
- Rent is $159 per week ($689 per calendar month) including water bills
- Bills for other utilities (power, gas etc.) are the shared responsibility of the household residents
- Bedrooms are offered unfurnished
- White goods (fridge and washing machine) are provided
- Modified accommodation to meet the needs of students with a disability may be available
SHAP residents can also apply for a Housing Grant through Student Financial Aid. Successful Housing Grant applicants receive rent assistance of $50 a week. A loan to cover the upfront SHAP bond of $689 may also be available from Student Financial Aid.
"The SHAP program has played an integral role in my academic performance... I would like to thank SHAP for providing such a wonderful service."
"It was the best possible accommodation, I met great people and found my way into student life, without any hassles. Thank you!"
"[The SHAP program] did much more than any normal student housing or shared arrangement in terms of preparing me for my future."
"I feel I have benefitted immensely from a) the peace of mind of having a secure property with friendly housemates and approachable staff, b) the lower rental costs meaning I did not have to work while studying and c) the excellent location. This was a wonderful opportunity for which I was immensely grateful. "
"It is a fantastic program... really made my first year of uni as good as it was."
"I don't think I'd even have made it to exams without the stability and flexibility that SHAP gave me."