Under 18 Housing options
Students and their families are responsible for arranging accommodation that meets the University’s requirements. Students and their families will need to contact housing providers directly to apply for accommodation. Any leases or other agreement relating to housing (financial or otherwise) are strictly between the student and the housing provider.
You can choose to live in a pre-approved housing option or request the University to assess the suitability of an alternative arrangement. Assessment of your housing arrangements forms part of the application process for the Under 18 Supervision Program.
The University has assessed the following housing providers as suitable for students under 18 years of age.
- Arrow on Swanston
488 Swanston Street, Carlton
- College Square Lygon
570 Lygon Street Carlton
- College Square Swanston
800 Swanston Street, Carlton
- Madre Nazarena
311 Church Street, Richmond
- Homelink at Albert House
57–65 Drummond Street, Carlton
- Palmerston House
2/105 Palmerston Street, Carlton
Please contact the Under 18 Program Coordinator for further information about our assessment of the housing providers above.
You may be permitted to live in alternative housing arrangements, e.g. with a cousin or family friend living in Melbourne, or at an accommodation provider not listed. In general, the University approves alternative housing and welfare arrangements when the following conditions are met:
- Parents (or a student’s legal custodian) approve of the proposed arrangements
- There must be a responsible adult aged 21 years or over living in the household
- Adults living in the household must have either a current Working with Children Check or National Police Record Check. The Police Check must have been conducted in the last six months. A fingerprints record check is not required.
- The proposed housing is located within a reasonable distance of campus, e.g. travel time to campus is not likely to exceed 35-40 minutes, and the student is likely to be able to travel safely between campus and the proposed housing location.
- The University assesses and is satisfied with these living arrangements.
Applications to live at an alternative location are assessed on an individual basis and attract an additional fee. The University of Melbourne reserves the right to refuse applications at its discretion. Please contact the Under 18 Program Coordinator if you have any questions about these conditions.
Students under 18 years of age must seek approval from the Under 18 Program Coordinator before changing their housing arrangements.