Frank Knox Memorial Fellowship
Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships are awarded to enable Australian students to study at Harvard University in the United States. This scholarship is funded through the Frank Knox Memorial Fellowship program.
- Benefits and conditions
- Eligibility criteria
- Selection criteria
- Application process (including documents required)
- Application outcome
- Closing date and timelines
- For further information
Up to three (3) Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships are available to students from Australia for graduate study in any field at Harvard University during the 2013-2014 academic year.
Knox Fellowships include tuition and health insurance fees plus a stipend of at least US$26,000 which is sufficient to cover living expenses of a single fellow for a ten-month academic year. Recipients who are admitted to a Harvard degree program that requires multiple years of study are guaranteed two years of Knox funding, provided they remain in good academic standing.
- Knox Fellowships are open to men and women who:
- are citizens of Australia at the time of application and who are normally residing in Australia; AND
- have completed or will complete a first or higher degree at an Australian university; AND
- are studying for a degree and will graduate in the academic year 2012-2013; OR have completed a degree and graduated no earlier than 2008. Please note that persons who graduated before 2008 will not be eligible to apply.
- Knox Fellowships are not awarded for postdoctoral research at Harvard University.
- No application will be considered from any student already in the United States.
- Candidates from all fields of study are eligible to apply. Preference will be given to degree seeking candidates.
- Applicants for the Frank Knox Fellowship must apply for and gain admission to one of the graduate or professional schools* at Harvard University as full-time degree students or, as permitted by certain Harvard schools, as full-time, non-degree Special Students. Candidates should contact the particular Harvard school(s) they wish to attend for further information about the programs offered by the school(s).
*The graduate/professional schools of Harvard are: the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences; Graduate School of Design; Graduate School of Education; Harvard Business School; Harvard Divinity School; Harvard Kennedy School; Harvard Law School; Harvard Medical School; Harvard School of Dental Medicine and the Harvard School of Public Health.
Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are now being accepted. Candidates must complete the required documents listed below and submit a hard copy to Melbourne Scholarships.
The Frank Knox Fellowship application is separate from the candidate's application for admission to one of the Harvard University schools. Applications for admission must be submitted to the appropriate school according to the deadlines established at that school. The awarding of a fellowship is contingent upon the applicant gaining admission to the Harvard school of choice. Admission to the University does not guarantee a fellowship award.
Each applicant must submit:
- A completed and signed Fellowship Application Form, which is obtainable from the Frank Knox Fellowships website at: www.frankknox.harvard.edu/aust.html. The application form must be kept in its original format.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Short essay of no more than 1,000 words which provides an account of the applicant's academic pursuits, intellectual interests, extra-curricular activities, and the reasons for his/her desire to study at Harvard University; the essay should also explain the applicant's plan of study at Harvard and his/her future career plans.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation.
Applicants will be advised if they have been short-listed by the University of Melbourne approximately four weeks after the application closing date.
Fellows are selected on the basis of academic excellence, strength of character and potential for leadership in their field.
Applications close 5.00pm on Friday, 7 December 2012.
Further information can be obtained from www.frankknox.harvard.edu or by contacting:
Committee on General Scholarships