Sir Arthur Sims Travelling Scholarship
The Sir Arthur Sims Travelling Scholarship enables graduates of Australian universities to undertake graduate study or research in Great Britain (ie. England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.) The scholarship is funded through the Sir Arthur Sims Travelling Scholarship Fund. Applicants should intend to commence their study/research in Great Britain within 16 months of the application closing date.
- Benefits and conditions
- Eligibility criteria
- Selection criteria
- Application process (including required documents)
- Application outcome
- Closing date and timelines
- For further information
The scholarship is awarded as funds permit.
The scholarship is valued at ~ $20,000 per annum.
The value of the Sir Arthur Sims Travelling Scholarship may be adjusted if the recipient receives another scholarship for the course/research to be undertaken in the United Kingdom.
The scholarship is awarded for a minimum of one year and a maximum of three years.
For a list of conditions relating to this scholarship please see the 2013/2014 Award Conditions.
- The scholarship is open to graduates of Australian universities who can demonstrate outstanding academic merit and promise.
- Applicants need to have been born in Australia or have parents who have been Australian residents for seven years or more, with their period of residence commencing within three years of the birth of the applicant.
- Applicants must be planning to undertake graduate study or research in Great Britain. Evidence of acceptance into a graduate course, a formal research arrangement, or written communication with the course co-ordinator or supervisor (eg. via email) must accompany the scholarship application.
- Applicants cannot apply for the Sir Arthur Sims Travelling Scholarship for study/research which has already commenced or has been completed. The scholarship will not be awarded retrospectively.
- Applicants who already hold a qualification at the same or higher level as the course for which a scholarship is sought are ineligible.
- Applicants pursuing a post-doctorate research program are ineligible to apply for the scholarships.
- The study or research can form part of a University of Melbourne graduate course or result in a degree from Great Britain. Applicants who wish to credit their studies/research in Great Britain toward a University of Melbourne course must obtain approval from their faculty.
- Previous recipients (ie. payments of entitlements have been received) cannot re-apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants (who are enrolled at the University of Melbourne) will be expected to complete their University of Melbourne qualifications before commencing an overseas qualification. The only exception applies to those applicants for whom their overseas studies will form part of their University of Melbourne qualification.
The scholarship is awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievements
- Extra-curricular activities and personal qualities
- Financial position
- Meeting the criteria noted in 'Eligibility'.
Selection will be managed by the Graduate Research Scholarships Committee (GRSC). The Committee will request an interview with the short-listed applicants. It is anticipated that interviews will be held in mid August.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for other scholarships to support their overseas studies/research. Scholarship information can be obtained from JASON, the British Council, the Association of Commonwealth Universities website and the institution at which the studies will be undertaken.
Download the Application Form, Estimated Budget, Referee Report Form and Guidelines and submit the completed forms to Melbourne Scholarships by the closing date. Applicants are advised to read the Guidelines before completing an application.
Applicants can only be considered if they meet the eligibility requirements stated above and if the required documents are submitted with the application by the closing date. It is suggested that you keep a copy of your application for future reference.
The following documents must be submitted with the application form.
- Official transcript/s of all tertiary study undertaken to date, demonstrating that the applicant is a graduate of an Australian university. The transcript/s should include a results key ie. an explanation of the university's grading system.
- Documents which verify that the applicant was born in Australia, or that his/her parents have been Australian residents for seven years or more, with their period of residence commencing within three years of the applicant's birth.
- A resume which provides a list of qualifications undertaken, academic prizes, relevant work experience and extra-curricular activities including any involvement in community activities.
- A written statement of the proposed study or research (two pages maximum).
- Evidence of acceptance into a graduate course or research program at a tertiary institution in Great Britain, or a formal research agreement, or written communication with the course co-ordinator or supervisor.
- A completed Estimated Budget form (see above). The budget information should include estimates of the cost of flights, living expenses and university fees.
- Two academic references (on the referee form provided) and one personal reference (in free format). The references should be marked 'confidential' and sent directly by the referees to the Prestigious Travelling Scholarships Officer at Melbourne Scholarships, Ground Floor, Baldwin Spencer Building, University of Melbourne, VIC 3010. Senior academic staff members who are familiar with your most recent academic work and achievements should provide the academic references. The personal reference should comment on your extra-curricular activities and personal qualities.
Applicants must submit three copies of the complete application ie. one original and two copies.
Applicants will be advised by early August if they have been short-listed for an interview. Short-listed applicants will receive written notification of their success or otherwise by late August.
30 June (or next working day if this date falls on a weekend). Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For further information
Please contact Melbourne Scholarships.