As the number of applications received for the Melbourne Scholarships Program usually exceeds the number of scholarships available, we encourage you to search widely and submit applications for any schemes for which you meet the eligibility criteria.
If you are seeking information about scholarship and research funding opportunities beyond those offered by Melbourne Scholarships, the following people and other resources may be of help.
- your supervisor
- academic and professional staff in your department/faculty
- senior students
- recent graduates
- visitors to the university
University of Melbourne resources
If you've not already done so, visit the Melbourne Scholarships website for comprehensive information about the scholarships offered as part of the Melbourne Scholarships Program.
The Scholarship News section of the graduate research scholarships website is used to announce some scholarships. The Graduate Research Scholarships Team forwards to JASON (a database for graduate scholarships) all notices that we receive about new scholarships.
Visit the Melbourne Research website for information about the APA(I) and NH and MRC schemes and links to databases that provide information about funding opportunities [e.g. the Community of Science (COS), Research Professional etc]
Many of the University's faculties/graduate schools and Murrup Barak - Melbourne Institute for Indigenous Development offer graduate scholarships and referrals to other funding options that are in addition to those offered as part of the Melbourne Scholarships Program. To view specific information about these opportunites use the links below:
- Faculty of Arts
- Graduate School of Business and Economics
- Melbourne Business School
- Melbourne School of Design
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Melbourne School of Engineering
- Office for Environmental Programs
- Melbourne School of Land and Environment
- Melbourne Law School
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Melbourne Graduate School of Science
- Murrup Barak - Melbourne Institute for Indigenous Development
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Faculty of VCA and MCM
Awards, Scholarships and Prizes - lists of awards available students at the University of Melbourne.
Graduate Student Association (GSA) funding - the GSA provides funding for graduate student groups to hold a range of activities and events.
Sports Scholarships - scholarships and grants available to student-athletes by Melbourne University Sport.
Residential Colleges - All of the residential Colleges at the University of Melbourne are able to provide some form of financial assistance to students.
GradFlash - a newsletter that often includes information about graduate funding opportunities at the University of Melbourne.
The Research Grants Group within Melbourne Research aims to expand and diversify the sources of national and international funding available to University of Melbourne researchers. The group also produces the Research and Grants Bulletin which provides information about research funding (for University of Melbourne students, staff and associates only)
Student Financial Aid offers advice and information on student loans and bursaries, government student assistance, budgeting, and on a range of other matters related to student finances to students of the University of Melbourne who find themselves in genuine financial hardship.
Careers and Employment aims to provide expert, up-to-date careers and employment assistance and information in a friendly and professional manner. Also includes Careers Online, the University's official jobs database for students, recent graduates and alumni.
JASON is a fabulous national database that aims to list all of the postgraduate scholarship opportunities offered by: universities; charitable foundations; state, federal and overseas governments; private organisations etc. The scholarships are for local and international students and for study in Australia and overseas. JASON allows you to enter a profile and will then alert you of any scholarships that match it. JASON will even email you of scholarships that suit your profile as they are added to the database!
The Commonwealth Government's Australia Awards program provides a large variety of generous scholarships for both local and international students to undertake studies and research in Australia and overseas. The scholarships support short visits and completion of entire courses.
Scholarships for study outside Australia
- Fulbright Scholarship for postgraduate study in the United States of America
- Sir Robert Menzies Memorial Scholarships and Fellowships for postgraduate study in the United Kingdom
- John Monash Scholarships for postgraduate study at a non-Australian University
- Rhodes Scholarship for study at the University of Oxford
- Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships for graduate study at Harvard University
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships for graduate study at the University of Cambridge
- Commonwealth Scholarships in the UK for doctoral studies at specific Universities in the United Kingdom
- Travelling scholarships offered as part of the Melbourne Scholarships Program
- Association of Commonwealth Universities
- Cambridge Australia Scholarships for postgraduate study at the University of Cambridge
- European Commissions' Education & Training website
- Erasmus Mundus
- British Council and the British Council Australia
- Hot Courses Scholarship Search - Search for Scholarships in the United Kingdom
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS) for research in the United Kingdom
- Australia to USA Fellowships for postgraduate study in the United States of America
- Victorian Government Funding Programs
- The Embassy of the country you'd like to study in
If you are seeking funding to undertake studies at another university, contact that university for information about the scholarships they offer and their suggestions about funding support. If you plan to enrol overseas, it may also prove worthwhile to contact the government in that country about scholarships.
Other specialist funding opportunities
- Australian Research Council
- Commonwealth Government websites such as DEEWR and DIISR
- Business Victoria Scholarships including the Premier's Award for Health and Medical Research
- IDP Education
- Australian Federation of Graduate Women and the International Federation of University Women
- Royal College of Nursing, Australia
- Commonwealth Science and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
- Cancer Council Victoria
- National Heart Foundation
- Kidney Health Australia
- The Lionel Murphy Foundation
- Australian Sports Commission
- Rotary International including Rotary International South Pacific and Philippines
- Philanthropy Australia
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Dan David Prize
- The Trust Company
- Royal Australian Airforce Women's Association (RAAFWA)