Visiting PhD (or Masters by research) Students

The University’s preferred method for hosting a visiting PhD (or Masters by research) student for a period of between three months and two years is through the existing Exchange or Study Abroad Research program (for students from an approved exchange partner). This program enables the student to apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500).

Honorary Visitors (Occupational Trainees)

The University of Melbourne is host to a number of recent graduates (coursework) or professionals who undertake practical or research training that is part of or closely related to their course of study at a higher education institute outside Australia, or to their occupation. The following information is a brief outline of the process to secure a placement and obtain an appropriate visa for your stay as an Honorary Visitor (Occupational Trainee) subclass 407 at the University. Due to significant delays from the Department of Immigration with the Occupational Trainee visas, we suggest applying with us at least 4-6 months prior to the visit.

Find a supervisor

If you are interested in undertaking practical or research training at the University, you will need to find a member of staff at a University Faculty or department who is able to supervise you. The Find an Expert directory contains information about research fields of staff at the University.

Visa options

After the details of your training program and supervision arrangements have been confirmed, your supervisor at the University of Melbourne will seek advice from the University's Student Visa Support team in regards to visa options that suit your circumstances.

Depending on the duration of your training program and other factors, the University may nominate you for an Occupational Trainee visa, or recommend that you apply for another suitable visa. You may wish to familiarise yourself with the Occupational Trainee visa, however you should not lodge an application for this visa before you have received approval of your training program from the Student Visa team as your application will be refused by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

If you have questions about the most appropriate visa for your visit, please email

Health insurance

As a holder of a temporary visa you are required to have in place appropriate health insurance arrangements. You can obtain health insurance through a provider in your home country or in Australia. Australia also has reciprocal health care agreements in place with a number of countries. See: Cover for overseas visitors.


There are various housing options in Melbourne depending on the length of your stay, personal budget, and lifestyle preferences. The Moving to Melbourne page is a good place to start exploring your options around campus.

Cost of living

Understanding the likely costs of living in Melbourne is a critical part of the planning process. The University's Student Financial Aid website has a summary of estimated accommodation and annual living cost to assist you with calculating an estimate of your financial needs.