Short-term visits

In most cases, relatives or friends who wish to visit you in Australia for a short time will need to apply for a visitor visa. The Department of Home Affairs has provided a list of immigration offices outside Australia.

Visitors are responsible for all their health costs in Australia. It is extremely important to organise health insurance for the duration of the visit.

No specific documents need to be provided by your scholarship provider. You may wish to download a Statement of Enrolment from your Student Portal. Should you require any official letter from the University to support the visa application of your relative or friend, you may order an official Evidence of Enrolment.

You may be required to write a letter stating that you wish your relative or friend to visit you. Please see a sample letter below.

Sample letter

[address of the Australian visa office in your home country]

Subject: [full name and birth date of the visitor]


Dear Sir/Madam,

I am currently enrolled in [name of your course] at the University of Melbourne and expected to complete my course on [date]. I wish to invite [name of the visitor] to visit me in Australia for [number of weeks or months].

I have attached a certified copy of my passport and Australian student visa.

Yours sincerely,

[your name as appears on passport]

[your residential address in Australia]