About the Early Learning Centre
The Early Learning Centre (ELC) is located in the Abbotsford Convent Precinct, close the Yarra River, historic Abbotsford Convent Buildings and Gardens and the Collingwood Children’s Farm.
- Integrated three-year-old and four-year-old kindergarten programs, delivered five days per week by highly qualified and experienced Early Childhood Teachers
- A responsive, inquiry-based curriculum that caters for the child’s holistic development through relationship building with teachers and peers, active experiential play and special projects
- Generalist age-appropriate curricula that focuses on learning in language and literacy and science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics (STEAM)
- A focused, specialised arts-based programs delivered by 'Artist Teachers' with expertise in two and three-dimensional art and the performing arts
- A regular 'Stepping Out, Finding Out and Speaking Out' learning in nature program which supports children as active citizens through walking excursions into the local community
- An award-winning 'Education for Sustainable Development' program, including an 'Eco Hero' child-led action group
- A focus on embedding First Nations perspectives across all programs.
Age groups and rooms
The Early Learning Centre is registered for 90 places. There are five playrooms where children are grouped by age, with multi-age groups as required.
|Eucalypt Room||3-years||14 places|
|Waratah Room||3-years||16 places|
|Banksia Room||4–5 years||20 places|
|Blue Gum Room||4–5 years||20 places|
|Wattle Room||4–5 years||20 places|
Hours, programs and enrolment requirements
The ELC operates from 7:30am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday, 48 weeks per year. It is closed public holidays and University of Melbourne holidays.
The ELC offers integrated kindergarten and long day care programs for three and four-year-olds. Enrolment options include:
- Full-time: Monday to Friday
- Three days: Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Two days: Tuesday and Thursday.
Attendance is limited to one University of Melbourne Early Childhood Service per child. Priority is given to children who will be enrolled into a funded place at the Early Learning Centre. Children must not be enrolled in another funded kindergarten program at any other early childhood service.
- Three-year old program: Children are required to turn three years of age by 30 April in the year of entry
- Four-year old program: Children are required to turn four years of age by 30 April in the year of entry.
Fees and subsidies
The daily rate is $147 per child.
The Early Learning Centre is a registered service provider with the Australian Government. For eligible families, a Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is paid directly to the service as a weekly fee reduction. Full fees are charged to families until CCS entitlements are confirmed.
How to apply
To apply, please complete an application form (PDF 167.7 KB) and return it to:
The University of Melbourne Early Learning Centre
40 Clarke Street, Abbotsford 3067
Applications are accepted in the year prior to entry and children are required to meet age eligibility to be considered for enrolment.
Applications must be submitted by July to be considered in initial round allocations for commencement of enrolment in January. Applications received from July onwards will be considered for future allocations and/or vacancies.
For all applications, accounts and enrolment enquiries, contact the Administration Office:
- Phone: 03 8344 1444 (select option one)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the Centre directly, phone 03 8344 1444 (select option two).