Queensberry Children’s Centre
Applications for 2023 are now open! Read how to apply below.
About the Queensberry Children’s Centre
Built in 1880, the former Queensberry Street Primary School (now registered with the Historic Buildings Council) has been renovated extensively to house the Queensberry Children’s Centre.
- Integrated three-year-old and four-year-old kindergarten programs, delivered five days per week by experienced and qualified Early Childhood Teachers
- A responsive curriculum that caters to individual and groups needs with strong emphasis on embedding First Nations perspectives and sustainability across all aspects of the program
- A play-based learning and teaching approach that is enhanced through the development of warm, reciprocal, and respectful relationships between children, educators, and families
- Generalist age-appropriate curricula that focuses on learning in language and literacy and science, technology, engineering, the arts, and mathematics (STEAM)
- A large outdoor play area providing natural spaces where children can connect with the natural world
- A specialist weekly music program delivered by a qualified teacher
- Food services and cloth nappies.
Age groups and rooms
The Queensberry Children's Centre is registered for 96 places. There are six playrooms where children are grouped by age:
|Murrum Room||3–12 months||8 places|
|Warin Room||10–19 months||12 places|
|Walert Room||18–29 months||16 places|
|Murrack Room||2–3 years||16 places|
|Wadjil Room||3–4 years||22 places|
|Alice Paton Kindergarten Room||4–5 years||22 places|
Hours, programs and enrolment requirements
The Queensberry Children's Centre operates from 7:45 am to 6:00 pm, Monday to Friday, 50 weeks per year. It is closed on some public holidays and University of Melbourne holidays.
Queensberry Children's Centre offers full day early education programs for children aged three months to five years, including:
- Long day care programs for children under three years old
- Integrated kindergarten and long day care programs for three and four-year-olds.
Attendance is limited to one University of Melbourne Early Childhood Service per child. A minimum booking of two days per week is required for all enrolments. Part-time enrolments are required to include either a Monday or Friday booking.
For enrolment into integrated kindergarten and long day care programs, priority is given to children who will be attending a funded program at Queensberry Children's Centre. Children attending funded program at Queensberry Children's Centre must not be enrolled into a funded kindergarten program at any other early childhood service.
- Three-year old program: Children are required to turn three years of age by 30 April in the year of entry
- Four-year old program: Children are required to turn four years of age by 30 April in the year of entry.
Fees and subsidies
|Family||Full fee (per child)|
|Daily attendance (staff and community)||$153|
|Daily attendance (student)||$134|
Queensberry Children's Centre is a registered service provider with the Australian Government. For eligible families, a Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is paid directly to the service as a weekly fee reduction. Full fees are charged to families until CCS entitlements are confirmed.
A rebate system to assist low-income local and international student families is available. To find out more, please contact us.
How to apply
Applications for 2023 are now open. To apply, please complete an application form (PDF 691.4 KB) and return it to:
Early Childhood Education Services Administration
228 Queensberry Street, Carlton 3053
Applications are accepted throughout the year with places allocated dependent on availability. Applications for enrolment commencing January must be submitted by August the previous year to be considered in the initial round of allocations.
For more information, please see:
For all applications, accounts and enrolment enquiries, contact the Administration Office:
- Phone: 03 8344 9621
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the Centre directly, phone 03 8344 9470.