About LGBTIQA+ counselling
You're not alone
- Sexual preferences and decisions on 'coming out/inviting in'
- Determining an authentic sense of 'self' in relation to societal pressures
- Strategies to deal with improving self-esteem and confidence to better deal with isolation, harassment, rejection or homophobia
- Safe sex practices and health-related matters
- Managing depression, anxiety and stress.
We are here to help
You can read more about our staff, including Jean.
Appointments can be booked online or by phone at 03 8344 6927. If you would like to see Jean or any specific counsellor, you can request this.
LGBTIQA+ counselling services
- Switchboard Victoria - National telephone and web counselling, information, and referral service for LGBTQI identifying people or families, friends, teachers, and co-workers of LGBTQI people.
- Queerspace - Family support agency that provides counselling and support to LGBTIQA+ people and their families.
- Thorne Harbour Health - Counselling, peer, and community support for the local LGBTIQA+ community in the areas of HIV, trans and gender diverse health, mental health, alcohol and other drugs, and relationship and family violence.
LGBTIQA+ friendly GP clinics and health services
- DocLIST - Online list of doctors and mental health professionals recommended by lesbian and bisexual women in Australia.
- Equinox - Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) management, sexual health, and counselling.
- Northside Clinic - LGBTIQ+ oriented general practice and sexual health clinic in Fitzroy North.
- Prahran Market Clinic - General medical practice in Prahran with particular focus on gay, lesbian, and gender diverse health.
- The Centre Clinic - General medical practice in St Kilda providing general health care for LGBTI community.
- Touchbase - Information, support, and services for LGBTI people for alcohol and drugs, mental health, and sexual health.
- Turn the Corner Medical Clinic - General medical practice in Northcote committed to providing an environment that is safe and inclusive for LGBTIQA+ people.
- LGBTIQA+ support for families
- Equinox - Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, HRT management, sexual health, and counselling.
- Seahorse Victoria - Support and social group for the Victorian transgender community.
- The Shed - Support group for trans masculine people, including people who are non-binary and those who are questioning or exploring their gender.
- Transgender Victoria - Information and resources for the Victorian transgender community.
- YGender - Peer-led social support and advocacy group for trans/gender diverse young people.
- Intersex Human Rights Australia - Support, education and policy development for people with intersex variations or traits focusing on human rights, bodily autonomy and self-determination, and on evidence-based, patient-directed healthcare.
- Bi-alliance Victoria - Non-profit volunteer-run organisation dedicated to promoting the acceptance of bisexuals in LGBTI and mainstream society.
Things to do to feel connected
Becoming part of an LGBTIQA+ community can be an important step in building a support network and making lasting social connections with people who understand issues specific to LGBTIQA+ people. The UMSU Queer Department can help in providing advice and a safe place, along with local support groups and resources listed below.
- Black Rainbow - Supports the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander lesbian, gay, bisexual, sistergirl & brotherboy, and queer community.
- Joy 94.9 - Australia's only 24/7 LGBTIQ radio station.
- LGBTIQ Multicultural Directory - List of multicultural LGBTIQ services and supports.
- Queers in Science - Melbourne-based initiative aiming to build community and improve support for LGBTIQA+ people working in STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine) in Australia.
- Star Observer/Star online - The latest in LGBTIQ news from around Australia.
- Victorian Pride Centre - Online directory for resources and LGBTIQ+ support groups in Victoria.
- Diversity in Art - Art program to all within the LGBTIQ+ community.
- Globe - Not-for-profit community group that encourages diversity and inclusiveness.
- Melbourne Gay and Lesbian Chorus - Australia's longest running LGBTIQ+ choir.
- The Nomads Outdoor Group - Social outdoors group for gay and gay-friendly men of all ages.
- Tomboy Party - Free monthly, rooftop party for Queer Women and their LGBTIQA+ mates.
- Bent Kranks - Cycling and mountain bike club created for the gay and lesbian community of Melbourne.
- Glamourhead Sharks Swimming - LGBTQI swimming club.
- Melbourne Argonauts - Australia's first GLTBI rowing club.
- Melbourne Charges - Rugby team where new players can learn the game in an accepting environment.
- Melbourne Frontrunners - Running and walking club, open to anyone regardless of ability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Melbourne Rovers Soccer Club - Soccer club for LGBTIQ players.
- Melbourne Spikers - Volleyball club providing a friendly and supportive environment to meet new people and have fun.
- Melbourne Surge Water Polo Club - LGBTIQ+ water polo club.
- Vic Tennis - Tennis and social activities in a GLTBI+ friendly environment.