About LGBTIQA+ counselling
You're not alone
- Sexual preferences and decisions on 'coming out/inviting in'
- Determining an authentic sense of 'self' in relation to societal pressures
- Strategies to deal with improving self-esteem and confidence to better deal with isolation, harassment, rejection or homophobia
- Safe sex practices and health-related matters
- Managing depression, anxiety and stress
We are here to help
You can read more about our staff, including Jean.
Appointments can be booked online or by phone at 03 8344 6927. If you would like to see Jean or any specific counsellor, you can request this.
Community connection and support
Becoming part of an LGBTIQA+ community can be an important step in building a support network and making lasting social connections with people who understand issues specific to LGBTIQA+ people. The UMSU Queer Department can help in providing advice and a safe place, along with local support groups and resources listed below.
LGBTIQA+ services which offer counselling
- QLife/Switchboard: A national 24/7 phone counselling service.
- Queerspace: Family support agency that provides counselling and support to LGBTIQA+ people and their families.
- Thorne Harbour Health: Counselling, peer, and community support for the local LGBTIQA+ community in the areas of HIV, trans and gender diverse health, mental health, alcohol and other drugs, and relationship and family violence.
- Mind Equality Centre: Psychological services for sexually and gender diverse people including occupational therapy; individual, couples, group, and family relationship counselling; and sex therapy.
LGBTIQA+ friendly GP clinics and health resources
- Northside Clinic: LGBTIQ+ oriented general practice and sexual health clinic in Fitzroy North.
- Prahran Market Clinic: A general medical practice in Prahran with particular focus on gay, lesbian, and gender diverse health.
- The Centre Clinic: A general medical practice in St Kilda providing general health care for LGBTI community.
- DocLIST: Online list of doctors and mental health professionals recommended by lesbian and bisexual women in Australia.
- Equinox: Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) management, sexual health, and counselling.
- Touchbase: Information, support, and services for LGBTI people for alcohol and drugs, mental health, and sexual health.
LGBTIQA+ support for families
- PFLAG Australia: Support group and advocacy for parents and allies of the LGBTIQ community.
- Transcend: Parent-led support network and information hub for transgender children and their families.
- Transgender Victoria: Information and resources for the Victorian transgender community.
- YGender: A peer-led social support and advocacy group for trans/gender diverse young people.
- Seahorse Victoria: Support and social group for the Victorian transgender community.
- Equinox: Specifically trans and gender diverse health clinic located in Fitzroy providing GP services, HRT management, sexual health, and counselling.
- Organisation Intersex International: Support, education, and policy development for people with intersex variations or traits focusing on human rights, bodily autonomy, and self-determination, and on evidence-based, patient-directed healthcare.
- Bi-alliance Victoria: A non-profit volunteer-run organisation dedicated to promoting the acceptance of bisexuals in LGBTI and mainstream society.
Things to do to feel connected
- Black Rainbow - Supports the Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander lesbian, gay, bisexual, sistergirl & brotherboy, and queer community.
- Rainbow Network - Community organisations discussing LGBTIQ issues.
- LGBTIQ Multicultural Directory - List of multicultural LGBTIQ services and supports
- Joy 94.9 - Australia's only 24/7 LGBTIQ radio station.
- Star Observer/Star online - The latest in LGBTIQ news from around Australia.
- Victorian Pride Centre - Online directory for resources and LGBTIQ+ support groups in Victoria.
- Queers in Science - Melbourne-based initiative aiming to build community and improve support for LGBTIQA+ people working in STEMM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Medicine) in Australia.